Acid reflux, also called heartburn, occurs when the sphincter of the lower esophagus does not close completely. As a result, stomach contents leak back into the esophagus and even up into the throat, causing a burning sensation. Because the esophagus and throat do not have the same sturdy lining as the stomach, they cannot endure the strong acids of the stomach and become injured. Acid reflux is also called gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, and it can lead to more serious problems. Often pregnant women experience GERD; partly because the stomach has less room and contents are more easily upset. Many people undergo dangerous surgery to heal acid reflux or take drugs that list serious side effects: irregular heartbeats, seizures, trouble breathing and a severe intestinal condition called Clostridium Difficile. Acupuncture can help relief acid reflux and keep you from undergoing a more serious procedure.
Some tips to avoid acid reflux:
- Enjoy your food! Take your time eating at the table, preferably with loved ones, instead of in front of a screen.
- Avoid foods heavy in sugar or fat, especially ice cream.
- Avoid fizzy foods and foods you’ve noticed give you acid reflux, such as spicy foods, acidic foods such as tomatoes or oranges or gassy foods, like Brussels sprouts.
- Avoid eating several hours before bedtime.
- Eat highly nutritious foods to reduce your cravings
- Drink more water.
- Reduce the stresses in your life.
- Increase yoga, meditation or Qi Gong for relaxation
Also, see an acupuncturist! A recent Taiwanese study showed a positive correlation between acupuncture and a decrease in the symptoms of acid reflux, and numerous anecdotal reports support acupuncture’s healing effects on acid reflux disease. Acupuncture heals the channels of the entire digestive system, curing the underlying causes of acid reflux. I provide treatment for acid reflux to help immediately ease your symptoms and discomfort; relieve indigestion, stomachache and acid reflux. I also provide counsel to help you enact lifestyle changes, as well as show you specific acupressure points that you can press to help heal your digestive system quickly.