Heart palpitations, also called heart arrhythmia occur when the electrical impulses to your heart bring an uneven message. You might experience them as a pounding or fluttering sensation in your chest. Most often palpitations are not serious, but they do represent an underlying imbalance, which should be treated to assure good future heart health.
Common causes of heart palpitations include:
- Excess caffeine
- MSG (monosodium glutamate), often found in takeout Chinese food
- A strong emotional response such as anxiety, anger or even attraction! (Thus, the expression, “Be still, my heart.”)
- Hormone changes associated with menstruation or pregnancy
- Abnormal electrolyte levels which can occur along with dehydration
- Medications that contain stimulants
- Consuming heavy meals
- Strenuous exercise
Because of its balancing nature, acupuncture works very well to regulate the rhythms of your heart. Since acupuncture helps your body open blocked energy channels, it can help smooth the electrical impulses as well as strengthen your heart muscle so that your heart is less likely to react with unsteadiness and will function strongly. Acupuncture serves to relieve physical stress, while it has a naturally healing effect on heart palpitations that result from anxiety.
Sometimes heart palpitations occur along with other symptoms or events, such as a hyperactive thyroid gland or frequent childbirth. For this reason, acupuncture is very valuable in looking at your overall health to determine and effectively treat the exact cause. The result is that, with treatment, you will not only see an improvement in your other symptoms, but you will experience an improvement in your overall health.