If you’ve overdone it in the sun – – Acupuncture brings sunburn relief!
The weather is gorgeous, everyone is out and about in their gardens, playing or hiking outside, or floating on the water. It’s also very easy to forget how quickly an afternoon in the sun can turn someone into a walking lobster.
Acupuncture to the rescue! It’s not necessarily the first thing you think about when you think about sunburn, but acupuncture will not only help soothe the pain, it will make you feel more relaxed in the process.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, sunburn is a trapping of damp heat in the skin that must be treated by releasing the heat and soothing the accompanying pain. In addition, acupuncture can also give the immune system a boost, and relieve the general fatigue and malaise often present after a major sun exposure.
Besides aftercare, a little prevention goes a very long way — here’s some great advice for more fun than burning in the sun.
Tips For Avoiding Sunburn
- Seems simple…avoid the sun when it’s at super strength. Don’t stay out for long periods of time between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. If you’re outdoors during this time, keep in mind that you’ll burn faster than at other times of the day.
- Beware of reflective surfaces. Water or sand can bounce as much as 17% of the sun’s ultraviolet rays back at you.
- Going to be out in the sun for a while? Use clothing such as cover-ups, long, loose-fitting pants and tops, and wide-brimmed hats to protect you. Choose lightweight fabrics that are cool, but will still give you sun protection. Remember your sunglasses! Eyes can burn, too.
- Wear sunblock. Sunblock will protect your skin from the sun’s rays, but be aware that many contain questionable chemicals that are not typically regulated. Choose natural varieties from your health food store, and be sure to reapply the sunblock if you have been in the water or have been sweating.
- Be a shady lady or gentleman! A simple way to avoid sunburn is to go in a shaded area to get out of the sun. If a shaded area is not available, use an umbrella. It will also make it easier for your friends and family to locate you on the beach! Win/win!
Would you like more information on how acupuncture can help you? Visit us at CT Acupuncture Center
Questions about acupuncture? Frequently Asked Questions about Acupuncture
Back pain relief in action! Want to see an acupuncture session in action for yourself? Check this out…
Follow us on Twitter! Follow @AcupunctureCT